
Tom Brady is argued to be one of if not the most successful athlete playing in the NFL today. He has led the New England Patriots in winning Super Bowl’s XXXVI, XXXVIII, and XXXIX. This advertisement is portraying the message that if you drink milk, then you too can be a winner and be as successful as Tom Brady.
The Got Milk? ads are an American advertisement campaign encouraging the purchase of cow’s milk. These ads are created by the advertising agency Goodby Silverstein & Partners for the California Milk Processor Board in 1993 and later licensed for use by milk processors and dairy farmers. The reason for these campaigns is for the past twenty years the sales nationwide of milk have not been that high (Gifford 1). The target person used to help them advertise milk is a person that can easily be recognized by the average American.
The target market for this particular Got Milk? ad is to sports fans but more specifically football fans. This ad came at the height of Brady’s fame following his third Super Bowl win over the Philadelphia Eagles. Therefore, he is a highly recognized figure in our society. Since he is so highly recognized to this target market, this ad probably did not get overlooked by the readers of the magazine he was in.
The creator of this ad put a milk mustache on Brady meaning that he just took a sip of this advertised produce. He is also resting it on his leg on top of a bag of ice. Just seeing the ice underneath the milk instantly made me carve a nice cold glass of milk. So the propaganda did work on me. Furthermore, the print underneath the words “Got Milk?” read that milk gives you nine essential nutrients that your active body needs. If the ice cold glass of milk did not convince you to get the produce then that statistic promoting a healthy lifestyle probably did. Brady is also wearing shoulder pads showing the fact that he just got done playing a game or got done with practice or he is about to play a game or start a practice. So the ad is also saying that Tom Brady drinks milk as a post game or possibly pregame drink. The game of football is also viewed as a tough manly sport. The message of this advertisement is if you drink milk, you will also be tough and more of a man.
Color is not a big part of this advertisement. It seems to be in a dark locker room. However, the white milk did stand out. Positioning is also not a factor. He is sitting in the center of the ad on a stool with the glass of milk on his left knee. The expression on his face is that of an ideal “game face.” He looks serious and tough. When I first took a look at the ad I instantly noticed the milk mustache. I was then lured to look at the glass of milk. I think the white in the picture stood out the most and it caught my eye. I next noticed the phrase Got Milk? and then the nutrient facts about milk. Then after that I came to realize that Tom Brady is the one behind the milk mustache.
Overall this was a very effective advertisement. I now have that idea that if I continue to drink milk then I can be a stud like Tom Brady. Besides just being a stud, the nutrient facts are also convincing to drink a nice ice cold glass of milk. Another effective use of this advertisement is including a milk mustache on Brady. I assume that many people will drink a glass of milk just so they can copy Brady. I know next time when I venture into the BLUU right after I get my card swiped I will immediately head to the section with milk and pore myself a refreshing glass of milk.
The Got Milk? ads are an American advertisement campaign encouraging the purchase of cow’s milk. These ads are created by the advertising agency Goodby Silverstein & Partners for the California Milk Processor Board in 1993 and later licensed for use by milk processors and dairy farmers. The reason for these campaigns is for the past twenty years the sales nationwide of milk have not been that high (Gifford 1). The target person used to help them advertise milk is a person that can easily be recognized by the average American.
The target market for this particular Got Milk? ad is to sports fans but more specifically football fans. This ad came at the height of Brady’s fame following his third Super Bowl win over the Philadelphia Eagles. Therefore, he is a highly recognized figure in our society. Since he is so highly recognized to this target market, this ad probably did not get overlooked by the readers of the magazine he was in.
The creator of this ad put a milk mustache on Brady meaning that he just took a sip of this advertised produce. He is also resting it on his leg on top of a bag of ice. Just seeing the ice underneath the milk instantly made me carve a nice cold glass of milk. So the propaganda did work on me. Furthermore, the print underneath the words “Got Milk?” read that milk gives you nine essential nutrients that your active body needs. If the ice cold glass of milk did not convince you to get the produce then that statistic promoting a healthy lifestyle probably did. Brady is also wearing shoulder pads showing the fact that he just got done playing a game or got done with practice or he is about to play a game or start a practice. So the ad is also saying that Tom Brady drinks milk as a post game or possibly pregame drink. The game of football is also viewed as a tough manly sport. The message of this advertisement is if you drink milk, you will also be tough and more of a man.
Color is not a big part of this advertisement. It seems to be in a dark locker room. However, the white milk did stand out. Positioning is also not a factor. He is sitting in the center of the ad on a stool with the glass of milk on his left knee. The expression on his face is that of an ideal “game face.” He looks serious and tough. When I first took a look at the ad I instantly noticed the milk mustache. I was then lured to look at the glass of milk. I think the white in the picture stood out the most and it caught my eye. I next noticed the phrase Got Milk? and then the nutrient facts about milk. Then after that I came to realize that Tom Brady is the one behind the milk mustache.
Overall this was a very effective advertisement. I now have that idea that if I continue to drink milk then I can be a stud like Tom Brady. Besides just being a stud, the nutrient facts are also convincing to drink a nice ice cold glass of milk. Another effective use of this advertisement is including a milk mustache on Brady. I assume that many people will drink a glass of milk just so they can copy Brady. I know next time when I venture into the BLUU right after I get my card swiped I will immediately head to the section with milk and pore myself a refreshing glass of milk.
Reference for image: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2241/2405012399_1487d23aa8.jpg
Reference for cited source in my second paragraph: Gifford, Amy. "Got Milk?" Wikipedia. 28 Nov. 2008. .
1 comment:
Really well done Kyle. You cited sources and found outside information to make your analysis relevant and interesting, which is impressive. You also talk about every detail of the photo and its purpose. I did not even notice the bag of ice until you mentioned it.
Post a Comment